Skip to main content

Soft Sci Fi

I realize as I read that I have more interest in the themes explored in soft sci fi than in the purity of hard sci fi.

I like it when the facts are as true as we can know them, don't get me wrong. I'll go out on a limb and say I loved the works of Michael Crichton, and the research he put into his books. But I especially like the social issues he explored.

I'm reading C.J.Cherryh right now. I have mixed feelings. I don't like the "start a character, then skip 200 years" style. On the other hand, I like some of the political angles she plays with. I am reading Foreigner, and once I got into it it reminds me somewhat of Shogun. We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard SciFi Revisited

DePauw University has some excellent articles archived on the Hard Science Fiction genre. I found it interesting that books dealing with social or religious issues are more marketable than those dealing with harder topics. But no, I guess it makes sense.

rootsPersona

Want to manage a Family Tree online? Create a map of your ancestors using WordPress? Announcing a new plugin, rootsPersona . rootsPersona is plugin I wrote to manage and present Genealogy data for a family website run on WordPress. I looked at several options already out there, within WordPress and without, and found nothing to my liking, so I developed this plugin, and found myself very happy with the results. I hope you do too. rootsPersona creates one or more pages of family history using data imported from a GEDCOM file (version 5.5). Check it out at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/rootspersona/

What is a Space Opera?

I ask because I am reading Alastair Reynolds' 2000 novel Revelation Space , and that is how it is being touted. Apparently that label was not originally a positive one. Wikipedia states that it was originally applied to "the hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn space-ship yarn, or world-saving [story]". It is more generally applied to stories where "settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale". OK, I assume the second is the reason it is applied to Revelation Space . It's taking me some time to read it, and it was a little slow to get into, but now that I am, I want to see what happens. I will be reviewing it at jupiterthree.com when I finish it.